Cowichan Secondary School (CSS) is centrally located in the downtown Duncan area in the heart of the Cowichan Valley. It is a Dual Campus school of about 1550 students. Cowichan Campus (James Street) is home to approximately 950 students in grades 10-12. Quamichan Campus (Beverly Street) is home to approximately 600 students, primarily grade 8 and 9. CSS has a proud history of accomplishments in all areas of academic, athletic, fine arts and applied skills programs since the school was first opened in 1950.
At Cowichan Secondary we believe in the following Core Values:
- CSS is a Caring Community that is safe, supportive and friendly
- CSS embraces the Diversity of our students and the Diversity of our programs that create opportunities for the success of all learners.
- CSS believes in the Pursuit of Excellence by promoting high standards and recognizing, showcasing and celebrating the achievements of our students
- CSS believes in promoting the value of Integrity that supports respectful and responsible relationships and honest and ethical practices
- CSS believes in the value of Team Work that demonstrates a collaborative approach to decision making and recognizes and values different points of view
Cowichan Secondary offers a wide variety of interesting and exciting academic and elective programs that extend beyond the prescribed courses that students must complete as part of their graduation program. These courses include: Dance, Drama, Theatre, Film Making, Digital Media, Adventure Tourism, Search and Rescue, Employment Skills, Learning Strategies, Fashion Design, Photography, Concert Band & Jazz Band, Guitar & Music Production, Personal Fitness & Lifestyles, Forensic Science, Computer Animation, IT Systems Programming, and so much more. We also offer a wide range of practical art and trades course, many of which lead into Dual Credit and ACE-IT programs.
In addition to traditional Physical Education (PE), we offer several specialty courses for credit including: Personal Fitness, Rugby, Field Hockey, Ice Hockey, Rock Climbing (Rock Wall) and Basketball. We are currently exploring the possibility of offering Sport Academies. Please contact us if you have an interest in these. These courses are separate from all of our Extra-Curricular sports teams.
Cowichan Secondary offers a wide variety of extra-curricular programs including Theatrical and Dance Performances, Concert Band, Student Variety Shows, Student Council, Grad Council and other student organizations. Cowichan Secondary is the home of the “Thunderbirds” and has a well established and very successful athletic program offering teams and top quality coaching in Rugby, Basketball, Field Hockey, Wrestling and Volleyball. Other athletic opportunities include soccer, tennis, gymnastics, swimming, track & field and more.